Move over, Academy Awards. The one award show I like every year happens right here in Portland, and celebrates businesses that go above and beyond in their sustainability practices. This year, once again, Travel Portland submitted an application, and DIDN’T WIN. Believe me when I say that we do so much here in terms of recycling, training, leading, policing, etc… that I’m curious to see who’s done even more.
Here they are, the best of the BEST.
- BEST Practices for Sustainability for Very Small company: Portland Hawthorne Hostel
- BEST Practices for Sustainability for Small company: Northwoods Nursery/One Green World
- BEST Practices for Sustainability for Medium company: Elite Care at Fanno Creek (if only my parents could speak English, that’s where I’d have them retire!)
- BEST Practices for Sustainability for Large company: Epson
- BEST Sustainable Products or Services: Timber Pro UV Natural Wood Finishes, and Our United Villages ReFind Furniture
- BEST Green Building – New Construction/Major Renovation and Tenant Improvement: Humboldt Garden; Note : they capture 100% of their rain water there!
- BEST Sustainable Food Systems: Ladybug Organic Coffee Company, and Organically Grown Company
You can find the full list of their accomplishments on the Bureau of Planning and Sustainability’s website.
Now, I don’t know about you, but I’m so proud to live here.